In 1954 the decision to build the Aswan High Dam was made. This dam
would lead to the creation of a huge artificial lake covering the
In 1959 the Egyptian and the Sudanese Governments requested UNESCO to
assist their countries in the protection and rescue of the endangered monuments
and sites. In 1960, the Director-General of UNESCO launched an appeal to the
Member States for an International Campaign to Save the Monuments of Nubia. This appeal resulted in the excavation and recording
of hundreds of sites, the recovery of thousands of objects, and the salvage and
relocation of a number of important temples to higher ground, the most famous
of them the temple complexes of Abu Simbel and Philae. The campaign ended on
Within the International Campaign, UNESCO played the
role of a coordinator and intermediary between the
As a follow-up to the successful completion of the
campaign, the International Campaign for the Establishment of the
After the campaign
The Monuments of Nubia on the UNESCO website.
Commemorative medal struck by UNESCO in 1975.
Description of the temple of Taffeh (in Dutch).
Stamp catalogue - 1964
Stamp catalogue - campaign 20th anniversary